Campbell hosts Longwood Saturday night
With the best home court record in Big South regular season play, Campbell looks for a season sweep of Longwood at 7 p.m. Saturday at Gore Arena.
The Camels (12-14, 6-5) own a 5-1 record at home vs. league foes this year. The lone blemish on the Camel home slate was a 61-58 setback Feb. 1 vs. Coastal Carolina. Most recently, Campbell shot 61.5 percent in the second half Wednesday night and defeated Presbyterian 77-66 at Gore Arena.
CU enters Saturday’s action one game behind Radford and VMI (both 7-4) in the loss column in the Big South Conference North Division standings. CU went 4-1 against North Division schools last month.
Longwood (7-19, 2-9) carries a five-game losing streak into Saturday’s contest after a 76-59 setback vs. Winthrop Wednesday.
On Jan. 11 at Farmville, Va., Campbell closed the game on a 25-7 run to defeat Longwood 75-67. CU trailed 60-50 with 7:40 to play, but Reco McCarter scored 11 of his 23 points in the decisive spurt.
· Campbell ranks third among all Big South schools in home attendance (2,164) for league contests.
· Campbell is second in the conference in 3-point field goals made per game (9.27) in Big South play.
· Leek Leek blocked a career-high six shots, one shy of Campbell’s Division I single-game record, at UNC Asheville. Leek stands third in the conference with 2.0 blocks per outing in Big South action.
· Against the Big South, McCarter leads Campbell in scoring (16.9 ppg), followed by Darius Leonard (11.5), Andrew Ryan (9.4), Kyre’ Hamer (8.9) and Leek (8.8).
· Over the last five games, sophomore Luke Moyer has hit 14 of 22 three-point shots (.636) and is averaging 11.2 points per outing. He dealt a career-high five assists at UNC Asheville.
· Guard Tristan Carey, in his second year with the Lancers after transferring from LaSalle, is the Big South’s sixth-leading scorer (18.6) and stands second in 3-point field goals made (3.28 per game) and 3-point accuracy (.418).
· Longwood recorded its first victory over a school from a BCS conference when the Lancers won at Texas Christian 82-79 on Nov. 12. It also marked the first victory for a Big South member over a Big 12 school in 15 years (Winthrop over Missouri in 1999-2000).
· Following Saturday’s game, Campbell returns to action Wednesday in a 7 p.m. tip-off at VMI.