Lady Cavs handle Bears for 4-2 victory

Apr. 02, 2014 @ 09:44 PM

Sisters Laurynn and Kasslynn Ansted combined for three Southern Lee goals in the first half and the Lady Cavaliers, in spite of falling behind twice in the early minutes against Gray's Creek (7-4, 4-3), earned a key victory in the Cape Fear Valley standings with a 4-2 result at home Wednesday night.

Southern Lee (8-3, 6-2) out-possessed and outshot the visitors for the night, winding up with a 22-8 advantage in shots and a 12-3 margin in shots on goal.
Two quick Lady Bear attacks into the Southern Lee end wound up making the Lady Cavaliers work from a one-goal deficit for a good part of the first half.
In the seventh minute, Katie Caylor's control in midfield, then through ball to Jalyn Taylor sprinting into the Lady Cavalier penalty box, led to Taylor putting a shot by keeper Nnaemeka McLean.
The Lady Cavs equalized in the 10th minute with their own break. Emma Langston's long ball was good for Laurynn Ansted, the Lady Cavs' freshman forward who's often in a lone, center striker role, to chase down while shouldering off a Lady Bear back. Ansted drilled a low shot by the keeper for a 1-1 score.
Still in the 10th minute, the Lady Bears attacked the top of the Southern Lee box and forced a handball call and penalty kick. Caylor converted the penalty kick for a 2-1 Gray's Creek lead.
The lead stood for 16 minutes. As is becoming a trait of the Lady Cavs this season, they scored in relative bunches. This time, it was two in less than six minutes.
Langston set up each Ansted once. The first began with Langston controlling a short Lady Bear clearing attempt, touching a pass for Laurynn, who dribbled around one defender and let a 20-yard shot fly into the top left corner of the net.
In the 32nd minute, the Lady Cavs earned a free kick within shooting range. Langston's shot rebounded into open space in the box and Kasslynn poked a shot by the scrambling Lady Bear keeper giving the Lady Cavs a 3-2 lead.
Southern Lee deserved a penalty kick two minutes into the second half as Laurynn Ansted was tripped from behind on a break into the box, but there was no whistle.
Gray's Creek came close to equalizing five minutes later when Grace Trull ran down the left flank and sent a shot off the near post and out. On Trull's shot, McLean went down injured and Laura Bright came on at keeper, playing the final 33 minutes.
The Lady Cavs added a stunning goal in the 50th minute as Kelsey Deleon's corner kick, hooking in from the right corner, swerved over the goal line, just inside the near post, as Taylor - the Lady Bear keeper for most of the second half - caught the ball.
Southern Lee's defending made the 4-2 lead safe. Bright didn't need to make a save in her substitute appearance. The Lady Cavs kept much of the play inside the Gray's Creek half and when needed, junior sweeper Katelyn Campbell did plenty of running and made numerous smart clearances of Lady Bear long balls.
Gray's Creek moved Taylor from goalie back to forward for the last 15 minutes but not a lot came of it.
The Lady Cavaliers have won three straight matches, all within CFVC play. Southern Lee will travel to face Westover at 6 p.m. Friday.