Lady Falcons get first CCC win

Mar. 19, 2013 @ 09:34 PM

Lee Christian's girls soccer team earned its first victory of the season on Tuesday, taking the lead early on and getting a 4-1 conference victory against Wayne Christian.

The Lady Falcons put the ball in the net twice in a six-minute span for a 2-0 lead 25 minutes into the match. Lee Christian went on, with fluid ball movement and nice attacking most of the way, to a healthy shot advantage. The only time the Lady Falcons might have been a little concerned was when Wayne Christian got a goal back to make it 2-1 for a short stretch early in the second half.

Playing well, and getting a victory, comes at an important time as the Lady Falcons (1-4, 1-1) are taking on a tough stretch of Carolina Christian Conference opponents in this, their first CCC season.

"This was the most complete game we've played all year," said Lee Christian head coach Eric Davidson.

"Today was big for our confidence," he said, "and we're going to need that confidence going forward because of the conference games we have coming up."

The Lady Falcons will host Crossroads Christian on Friday afternoon before traveling to face neighboring rival Grace Christian on Monday and Cresset Christian on Tuesday.

The Lady Falcons took their play, and a fast, attacking pace, to Wayne Christian. Cameron Dubuc, Makaila Gillum and O'Quinn had already sent good shots toward goal before O'Quinn put Lee Christian ahead in the 19th minute.

Gillum took a throw-in from along the right sideline about 35 yards from goal. Her throw went into the box where Skylar Dubuc poked the ball by a Wayne Christian defender and the keeper. O'Quinn drilled an open 10-yard shot into the mostly unguarded net.

It was O'Quinn to Skylar Dubuc a few minutes later. A Wayne Christian goal kick turned into a quick break straight back on the Wayne box. O'Quinn slid a good pass to Dubuc who blasted a shot for the goal.

Wayne Christian's Sally Rouse scored less than two minutes into the second half.

Lee Christian regained its two-goal lead seven minutes later. A string of passing wound up with Gillum passing to Lauren Lane, who kept the ball moving to Cameron Dubuc. Dubuc struck a shot from a few yards outside the top of the box bending just inside the right post for a 3-1 lead.

O'Quinn finished the scoring in the 77th minute with her second goal. From a Gillum free kick, O'Quinn scored with a long header, from the right side of the penalty area to near the left post of the goal.

There hasn't been anything easy about Lee Christian's early schedule, either, Davidson said, but that's by design and he thinks it'll pay off.

"We had three non-conference games, all against good opponents, but that's what we wanted," Davidson said.

Davidson was pleased with the solid all-around game his squad played. From putting goals away to holding the visitors to one goal and a few chances.

"We're still learning how to play together as a team. That's what everyone is dealing with at this point in a season, but overall I'm very pleased with the win," he said.