CALENDAR FOR FEB. 13
• This week's story time for pre-schoolers will be held at 11 a.m. at the Main Library on Hawkins Avenue. This week's theme will be “Valentine’s Day!” For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484.
• The domestic violence survivors support group meets tonight and every Thursday at 6 p.m. at 215 Bracken St., Sanford. Interested persons are urged to call the HAVEN office at (919) 774-8923 and speak with Cecilia or Susan if they have questions.
• The Lee County Arts Council will hold a grant writing class at 6:30 p.m. at the council office, 144-E S. Steele St, Sanford. Those wanting to attend can sign up through the council's Facebook page, calling (919) 774-6139 or emailing email@example.com. The cost is $10 per person.
• The Sanford/Lee County Stroke Support Group will meet at 1 p.m. at the Enrichment Center, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. The topic is stress management in the new year. The speaker is Ashley Redfern, recreational therapy clinical fellow, UNC Healthcare; the facilitator is Joy Phillips Murphy. Stroke survivors, caregivers and loved ones are invited to join others who understand what they are going through.
• Meals On Wheels of Sanford will hold its monthly board of directors meeting at 9:30 a.m. in the library of the First Presbyterian Church of Sanford on Hawkins Avenue. All interested members of the community are invited to attend and learn more about this caring ministry.
• “Hike for Your Health” will be held at 10 a.m. at Raven Rock State Park in Lillington. Participants can join Raven Rock’s office assistant for fresh air, sunshine and exercise. They must be ages 12 and up and able to hike two to five miles at a good pace on trails that can be flat, hilly and include steps. This hike is being offered every Thursday. Those in attendance are advised to wear sturdy hiking shoes and bring water. Please call (910) 893-4888 to register.
• The Gregg Gelb Trio will perform from 6-9 p.m. at Neomonde Cafe, located on Beryl Road in Raleigh. The evening will include a featured menu and Lebanese and Greek wine tasting. To learn more, call (919) 828-1628.
• The 29th annual Heart ‘n Soul of Jazz, presented by the Arts Council of Moore County, will be held at 8 p.m. (doors open at 7:30 p.m.) in Pinehurst Resort’s Cardinal Ballroom in the Carolina Hotel. The event will feature the award-winning cabaret singer and comedienne Colleen McHugh. Tickets are $65 per person ($60 before Feb. 1) and available from the Arts Council offices (Campbell House, 482 E. Connecticut Ave., Southern Pines), by calling (910) 692-ARTS (2787) or online at www.MooreArt.org. In addition to the concert ticket, admission includes a meet-the-artists dessert reception after the concert and a chance for door prizes. Jazz ticket holders can take advantage of a special pre-jazz dinner in the resort’s Carolina Dining Room for $42 (all inclusive) per person. Dinner reservations can be made by calling (910) 235-8434. Seating begins at 5 p.m.
• Carolina Animal Rescue and Adoption and the Temple Theater will hold the first annual Drag Out Your Love Valentine’s Day Extravaganza, featuring the PAWsitively Perfect Pageant, from 7-10 p.m. at the Temple, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. Tickets are available starting at $20 per person for an evening of bingo and entertainment. Doors open at 7 p.m., and The Temple Teens will provide entertainment while attendees can grab two hot dogs, chips and a drink for $10, or a variety of drinks from the Temple bar. Attendees can meet some CARA dogs who are dressed to impress and are looking for their fur-ever homes, and participants in the PAWsitively Perfect Pageant can mingle. Everyone gets four bingo cards per game, and in between games, attendees will be entertained by show tune acts by local professionals. There will be a 50/50 raffle for $10 and a finale with pageant contestants. To buy tickets, please call (919) 774-4155 or visit www.templeshows.com.
• Jayne Holland is raising funds for Children's Organ Transplant Association in honor of Evie W, a child who needs a kidney transplant, by running 10 races over 10 months. The first is today's President's Day Freedom Run, a 5K sponsored by Black Belt Academy, at 10 a.m. at San-Lee Chapel on Keller Andrews Road. Those who would like to help are invited to cheer Holland on or can sponsor her efforts by visiting www.COTAforEvieW.com.
• The antique shops of Cameron will hold their annual “Winterfest Sales Event” today with all shops included, featuring clearance sales, specials, just-arrived merchandise and more. To learn more, visit www.antiquesofcameron.com or call (910) 245-3020.
• Central Carolina Hospital will offer free lipid panel (total cholesterol, HDL (good cholesterol), LDL (bad cholesterol), triglycerides) and glucose screenings from 8-10 a.m. at the hospital, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. This is a blood draw, and the results will be mailed. Participants must be at least 18 years old, and the screening requires fasting (nothing to eat after midnight) for accurate results. Register at http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=4243 or call at 800-483-6385 to learn more.
• A community blood drive, hosted by the Sandhills Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. and the Xi Mu Mu Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, will be held from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at First Calvary Baptist Church, 240 Fields Drive, Sanford. Those who would like to be a donor or to get more information, please contact the chairman of this project, Jocelyn McKoy, at (919) 356-9639.
• The Stevens Center's annual Valentine prime rib dinner and auction benefit will be held from 5-8 p.m. at the Stevens Center, 1576 Kelly Drive in Sanford. The evening begins at 5 p.m. with a complete dinner, including a salad bar, prime rib or roast chicken, sweet or white potatoes, vegetable, fresh-baked rolls, beverage and a selection of home-baked desserts. During dinner, couples will be serenaded by the Karen Huey string ensemble. A silent auction with more than 50 items will also be running. After dinner, the the Temple Teens will provide 40 minutes of of love songs, and then auctioneer Jerry Harris will call a live auction. Tickets to the event are $25 per person. Table sponsorships are $200 and include six tickets and a $110 tax deduction. Tickets are available at Capital Bank branches in Lee County, at Hair Associates on Tramway Road, at the Stevens Center, and online at stevenscenter.org or facebook.com/stevenscenter. People may also call the Stevens Center at (919) 776-4048 for tickets.
• A “Prescribed Fire” presentation will be held at 2 p.m. at Raven Rock State Park in Lillington. They are not medical doctors, but park rangers help create their own fiery “prescriptions” to help keep the park healthy. There will be a presentation showing the differences between prescribed fire and wildfires, as well as the benefits of having a prescribed fire plan for our park and an introduction to the equipment rangers use. Participants will meet at the visitor center.