CALENDAR FOR FEB. 12
• This week's story time for toddlers will be held at 10 a.m. at the Main Library on Hawkins Avenue. This week's theme will be “Valentine’s Day!” For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484.
• Covenant Preparatory School will host its February Open House at 8:30 a.m. on the campus of New Covenant Fellowship Church, located between Union Pines High School and New Century Middle School at 1305 Hulsey Road in Carthage. Interested parties are invited to come for morning exercises and chapel at 8:30 a.m., or come at 9:15 a.m. for an informational meeting followed by a campus tour. Those wanting to know more can call Kristin Rizzo at (910) 673-1025 or (201) 417-0481, email email@example.com or visit www.covenantprep.com.
• San-Lee Park's Conservation Cubs will meet today (Wednesday) and Feb. 26 from 10-11 a.m. at 572 Pumping Station Road, Sanford. Children ages 3-5 are welcome with parent. The cost is $6 per child both days or $10 per child for one day. The cost includes a healthy snack. Pre-registration is preferred at (919) 776-6221. Ask for Jaime Osborne or Carrie Council. The theme is opossums.
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet from 8:30-10 a.m. at First Baptist Church. Are you serious about looking for employment? You are welcome to come. Job leads, encouragement, and job search tips are just a small part of this program. Call (919) 776-6137 for more information.
• This week's story time for pre-schoolers will be held at 11 a.m. at the Main Library on Hawkins Avenue. This week's theme will be “Valentine's Day!” For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484.
• The domestic violence survivors support group meets tonight and every Thursday at 6 p.m. at 215 Bracken St., Sanford. Interested persons are urged to call the HAVEN office at (919) 774-8923 and speak with Cecilia or Susan if they have questions.
• The Lee County Arts Council will hold a grant writing class at 6:30 p.m. at the council office, 144-E S. Steele St, Sanford. Those wanting to attend can sign up through the council's Facebook page, calling (919) 774-6139, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost is $10 per person.
• The Sanford/Lee County Stroke Support Group will meet at 1 p.m. at the Enrichment Center, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. The topic is stress management in the new year. The speaker is Ashley Redfern, recreational therapy clinical fellow, UNC Healthcare; the facilitator is Joy Phillips Murphy. Stroke survivors, caregivers and loved ones are invited to join others who understand what they are going through.
• Meals On Wheels of Sanford will hold its monthly board of directors meeting at 9:30 a.m. in the library of the First Presbyterian Church of Sanford on Hawkins Avenue. All interested members of the community are invited to attend and learn more about this caring ministry.
• “Hike for Your Health” will be held at 10 a.m. at Raven Rock State Park in Lillington. Participants can join Raven Rock’s office assistant for fresh air, sunshine and exercise. They must be ages 12 and up and able to hike two to five miles at a good pace on trails that can be flat, hilly and include steps. This hike is being offered every Thursday. Those in attendance are advised to wear sturdy hiking shoes and bring water. Please call (910) 893-4888 to register.
• The Gregg Gelb Trio will perform from 6-9 p.m. at Neomonde Cafe, located on Beryl Road in Raleigh. The evening will include a featured menu and Lebanese and Greek wine tasting. To learn more, call (919) 828-1628.
• The 29th annual Heart ‘n Soul of Jazz, presented by the Arts Council of Moore County, will be held at 8 p.m. (doors open at 7:30 p.m.) in Pinehurst Resort’s Cardinal Ballroom in the Carolina Hotel. The event will feature the award-winning cabaret singer and comedienne Colleen McHugh. Tickets are $65 per person ($60 before Feb. 1) and available from the Arts Council offices (Campbell House, 482 E. Connecticut Ave., Southern Pines), by calling (910) 692-ARTS (2787) or online at www.MooreArt.org. In addition to the concert ticket, admission includes a meet-the-artists dessert reception after the concert and a chance for door prizes. Jazz ticket holders can take advantage of a special pre-jazz dinner in the resort’s Carolina Dining Room for $42 (all inclusive) per person. Dinner reservations can be made by calling (910) 235-8434. Seating begins at 5 p.m.
• Carolina Animal Rescue and Adoption and the Temple Theater will hold the first annual Drag Out Your Love Valentine’s Day Extravaganza, featuring the PAWsitively Perfect Pageant, from 7-10 p.m. at the Temple, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. Tickets are available starting at $20 per person for an evening of bingo and entertainment. Doors open at 7 p.m., and The Temple Teens will provide entertainment while attendees can grab two hot dogs, chips and a drink for $10, or a variety of drinks from the Temple bar. Attendees can meet some CARA dogs who are dressed to impress and are looking for their fur-ever homes, and participants in the PAWsitively Perfect Pageant can mingle. Everyone gets four bingo cards per game, and in between games, attendees will be entertained by show tune acts by local professionals. There will be a 50/50 raffle for $10 and a finale with pageant contestants. To buy tickets, please call (919) 774-4155 or visit www.templeshows.com.