CALENDAR FOR SEPT. 5
• Sanford Business and Professional Women will hold their monthly meeting, with networking at 5 p.m. and the meeting from 5:30-6:30 p.m., at Elizabeth's Pizza, 1009 Spring Lane, Sanford. This month's theme is "Community and Nonprofits," and the group will be talking about how businesses can work together with community organizations to benefit everyone. The guest speaker will be United Way's Jan Hayes. Those in attendance are encouraged to clean their closets of school supplies and party supplies for items to donate to Communities in Schools.
• The Gregg Gelb Jazz Trio, with Court Stewart, piano, and Chris Gelb, drums, will be held from 6:30-9:30 p.m. at The Flame Steakhouse, 109 Carbonton Road, Sanford
• Murals in Lee County will meet at 6 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The organization advocates the idea of murals being painted in downtown areas and elsewhere to brighten, beautify and enhance interest in Lee County.
• A free Small Business Seminar titled “Business Services: Understanding the Work Opportunity Tax Credit” will be held from 4:30-5:30 p.m. at the Harnett Heath Sciences Center located at 51 Red Mulberry Lane, Lillington. Did you know that you could get a tax credit of $1,200 to $9,600 depending on the employee hired? This seminar will offer information for those who plan to hire employees. Register at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e7ynwt4taf076aa0&oseq=&c=&ch=; call (910) 892-2884 to learn more.
• An Alzheimer's disease family program will be held at 2:30 p.m. with speaker Pat Myers, a registered nurse, at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The topic is “Managing Alzheimer's Disease.” The program is free and open to the public.
• The Brick Capital Quilters’ Guild will meet tonight, with sew time from 3-6 p.m. and a brief business meeting at 6:15 p.m., at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Members will work on ongoing projects. Anyone interested in quilting on any skill level is welcome to join the group.
• Downtown Sanford Inc. will present the Function at the Junction Summer Concert Series at 7 p.m. every Thursday through September at Depot Park in downtown Sanford. Patrons can bring lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic supper to these free outdoor concerts. Tonight, Transistor Days will perform. For more information, call (919) 775-8332 or contact email@example.com.
• A newborn care class, designed to educate parents on the physical care of the newborn, development needs of the young infant and adjustment to parenthood, will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Community College, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. To register, go to http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=1863.
• Central Carolina Community College Harnett County Small Business Center, Harnett Economic Development Commission and Area Chambers will host the Harnett County Small Business Summit from 4-7 p.m. at Central Carolina Community College, Harnett Health Science Building, located at 51 Mulberry Way, Lillington. The theme of the summit will be "Connecting Small Businesses with Resources." Agencies and organizations that provide small business assistance will be present. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (910) 892-2884.
• A free Small Business Center seminar titled “Checklist for Starting a Business” will be held from 4:30-5:30 p.m. at the Harnett Heath Sciences Center, located at 51 Red Mulberry Lane, Lillington. Participants can learn the basics to get their business up and running. Call (910) 892-2884 to pre-register or for more information about Harnett County seminars.
• A free Small Business Center seminar titled “Financing Your Small Business” will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at the Harnett Heath Sciences Center, located at 51 Red Mulberry Lane, Lillington. Traditional and non-traditional financing options for a small business will be discussed. Information will be presented by various lenders. Register at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e7ynyg1f5c19b0e5&oseq=&c=&ch=; or call (910) 892-2884 to pre-register or for more information about Harnett County seminars.
• A free workshop to help participants take control of their diabetes, an evidence-based class developed by Stanford University, will meet today (Thursday) and every Thursday through Oct. 10, from 2-4:30 p.m. at The Enrichment Center of Lee County. Class size is limited to 12. Call (919) 776-0501 x 2201 to register. The class is co-sponsored by Triangle J Area Agency on Aging.
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a ribbon cutting at 11 a.m. at Monifa's Southern Food & Catering, 116 E. Main St., Jonesboro. To learn more, www.sanford-nc.com.
• A homecoming will be held today through Sept. 8 celebrating the 200th anniversary of the old building at Union Presbyterian Church in Carthage. A Ceildh and Scottish dinner, featuring music, dance and food, will be held tonight from 7-10 p.m. at the Pinehurst Fair Barn. Adult admission is $25, Children 10 and under are $10. For more information and to register, go to www.unionchurchcarthage.org/union-homecoming-2013/, email email@example.com or call (910) 692-7272 or (910) 947-2626.
• The 2nd Chance Prom, benefiting Communities in Schools of Lee County, will be held from 7:30-11 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center in Sanford. This event is CIS’s major fundraiser for the year, supplementing more than 50 percent of its budget. This year's event will feature music, dancing, the crowning of local celebrities as king and queen and more — all while helping students in Lee County. To learn more or vote for king and queen, visit http://leecountync.communitiesinschools.org. Tickets are available at http://cis2cp.eventbrite.com/.
• The Sanford Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m.-noon at Depot Park, 106 Charlotte Ave. in downtown Sanford. Patrons can purchase the best of locally grown seasonal fresh fruits, vegetables, and other produce at the Sanford Farmer's Market. For further information about buying or selling at the market, please call Sue Buie at (919) 356-3007, email DonnaBuie@aol.com or see /www.facebook.com/pages/Sanford-Farmers-Market/219549214730985
• The Siler City farmers' market will be held at 9:30 a.m. at 118 W. Second St., behind the Courtyard Rotary Stage (Cafe Gazebo).
• The First Ever Girl Scouts — North Carolina Coastal Pines adult recruitment brunch will be held from 10 a.m.-noon at Mrs. Lacy's Magnolia House, 405 Carthage St., Sanford. Those who want to work directly with the girls or behind the scenes in a supporting role are invited to learn about the various volunteer opportunities available in girl scouting.
• A fundraiser will be held for the Hope Hyde family starting at 11 a.m. on the Morris Chapel United Methodist Church grounds, 8553 Cox Mill Road, Sanford. Baby Hope was diagnosed with Edwards Syndrome, a chromosomal condition. Barbecue chicken plates with coleslaw, baked beans, a roll, homemade dessert and tea will be sold for $7 per plate; delivery available with purchase of 10 plates or more. Fun and games will be offered from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., including face painting, live music, a dunking booth, and refreshments. Call (919) 499-4485 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The first-ever “Splash 'n' Bark” event, with all donations benefiting a dog park at O.T. Sloan Park, will be held from 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at O.T. Sloan, located at 1420 Bragg St., Sanford. The cost is $15 donation per dog (includes handler and three family members) and $5 for spectators. The event will feature Carolina Dock Dogs big air and extreme vertical exhibitions at 11:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., food and other vendors, face painting, photo booth, agility course, and more.
• A homecoming will continue today celebrating the 200th anniversary of the old building at Union Presbyterian Church in Carthage. Today's activities include worship at the site of the old building, led by the Rev. Donald McDonald, at 11 a.m., followed by a 1 p.m. luncheon at Union Presbyterian Church (no charge) and historical and genealogical lectures and tours of local historical sites from 2-5:30 p.m. For more information and to register, go to www.unionchurchcarthage.org/union-homecoming-2013/, email email@example.com or call (910) 692-7272 or (910) 947-2626.