CALENDAR FOR FEB. 10
• A Valentine's open barn will be held from noon through 5 p.m. at Celebrity Dairy in Siler City. The inn will be offering some simple lunch fare for hungry visitors from noon-3 p.m.
• Young people in Chatham County are invited to learn more about trees in the winter landscape during a special hike, which begins at 2 p.m. at the White Pines Nature Preserve, located about eight miles south of Pittsboro. The hikes are jointly offered by the Grand Trees of Chatham Committee and the Triangle Land Conservancy. The program materials target young people ages 4 to 10, but other age groups are welcome, too. The hikes will happen rain or shine, and participants should dress for the weather, including good walking shoes. Please leave pets at home. Register at http://triangleland.org/news-and-events/events. Afterward, participants will receive directions to the meeting place. For questions, contact email@example.com.
• Temple Theatre presents “The Swingin' Cowboys,” featuring Jason Petty, today at 2 p.m. at the theatre, 120 Carthage St. The show is a tribute to the music of the great American West. This trip down memory lane consists of songs from Stephen Foster to the Singing Cowboys to Western swing. Tickets are $23 for adults, $19 for active military/Lee County educators/groups of 10-plus, and $13 for students and are available by calling Temple Theatre's box office at (919) 774-4155 or can be bought online at www.templeshows.com.
• This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Chatham County Council on Aging’s Chocolate Cake and Cheesecake Bake-Off, a major fund-raiser for older adult programs that allows guests to sample winning chocolate cakes and decadent cheesecakes. The bake -off will be held from 3-5 p.m. at the Eastern Senior Center in Pittsboro. The cost is $5 for adults and $3 for children to taste the entries with either milk or coffee. Judging will be based on taste, originality, appearance and creativity for an overall score. Two first-place winners, one for cakes and one for cheesecakes, will each receive $100. Four second prizes also will be awarded.
• The Rooster's Wife will present JUNO Award nominated April Verch, with doors opening at 6 p.m., in the 100-seat listening room at the corner of Knight and Poplar in downtown Aberdeen. The show starts at 6:46 p.m. Verch is the ﬁrst woman in history to win both of Canada's most prestigious ﬁddle championships, the Grand Masters and Canadian Open, and she also kicked off the 2010 Olympic Games as lead fiddler for the opening ceremonies.To learn more or for tickets, visit www.theroosterswife.org or call (910) 944-7502. Shows continue this winter through March 24 on consecutive Sundays.
• The victims of sexual assault support group will meet tonight and every Monday from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Please call Haven in Lee County for more information at (919)-774-8923.
• Ballroom dance lessons for beginners will be offered at 6:45 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County with instructor Judith McDonald, president of Outreach Programs, US Dance. This is a free opportunity for anyone that would like to learn to glide across the floor with confidence. Wear comfortable clothing and bring dance or leather-soled shoes. Class size is limited; call (919) 776-0501 ext. 2201 to register or learn more.
• The First Baptist Church of Sanford and Sandhills Center LME will be sponsoring a free community-wide informational session from 5:30-7 p.m. at First Baptist, 202 Summit Drive, Sanford. The topic is "The Effect of Trauma on Children." Childcare and light dinner will be provided, but registration is required. To register, contact Linda Swann, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call toll free 1-877-776-6702.
• The Republican Women of Lee County will meet from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Lee GOP headquarters at 101 S. Steele Street in Sanford. The meeting will be followed by a dessert and coffee social from 7:30-8 p.m. Those who would like to bring a dessert, please email email@example.com. Also, RWL membership dues of $30 for 2013 are now payable. Dues for associate membership (for men or students or Republican ladies who are not residents of Lee County) are $15. Dues may be paid by cash or check, made payable to RWL. Please bring a nonperishable donation for Christians United Outreach Center.
• The Democratic Women of Lee County will meet from 5:30–6:30 p.m. at Elizabeth's Pizza in the Riverbirch Shopping Center, Spring Lane, Sanford.
• The Novel Approach Book Group will meet at noon at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The group will discuss “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The group is open to the general public.
• The Lee County Community Orchestra will rehearse from 6:30-9 p.m. in the practice hall of the Lee County High School Fine Arts Building.
• A workshop titled "Resume Reality Check" will be offered as a part of the Practical Knowledge Seminar Series from 10 a.m.-noon in the meeting room of the Sanford Area Association of Realtors, 106 Charlotte Ave., Sanford. Participants will look at sample formats and learn tips for creating a resume that will stand out from the crowd. The cost is $20 and advance registration is required. Visit pkseminars.com or call (919) 721-8433 for more information or to register.