CALENDAR FOR FEB. 19
• Lee County Parks & Recreation will hold a dog park meeting from 6–7 p.m. at 2303 Tramway Road, Sanford. Volunteers and others interested in helping to raise funds for a dog park are invited to attend.
• A free seminar titled “Starting a Small Business” will be held from 9 a.m.-noon at the Dennis Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. At this seminar, attendees will discover: *How to find the business that fits you, *Where to find resources to get started, *How to plan your small business like a big business,” *The five resources everyone has to work with and *how to turn your little business into a bigger business. Businesses such as personal services, business services, computer businesses, repair and maintenance and fun businesses will all be covered. Participants will also learn how to prepare a simple business plan to get started. Presenter: Mike Collins, president of The Perfect Workday Company. Call (919) 774-6442 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to pre-register. Seminars are subject to cancelation without a minimum number of pre-registrations.
• The Lee County Community Orchestra will rehearse from 6:30-9 p.m. in the practice hall of the Lee County High School Fine Arts Building.
• Covenant Preparatory School, a classical Christian school, will host an open house at 7 p.m. The meeting will be held at New Covenant Fellowship Church, 1305 Hulsey Road, Carthage. The school is now accepting enrollment applications for the 2013-2014 school year. Exciting new details about the school will be announced. Feel free to call Kristin at 673-1025 or email her at email@example.com with questions. For additional information, or to download an application, visit the school’s newly updated website at www.covenantprep.com for more information and to download an application.
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet from 8:30-10 a.m. at First Baptist Church. Job leads, support and job search help will be given. Anyone searching for a job is welcome and is asked to bring a copy of his or her latest resume’.
• A Parkinson’s Support Group for those with Parkinson’s disease, their family members, caregivers and friends will be held at 10:30 a.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County in Sanford. The meeting topic will be sleep problems and Parkinson’s. Ed Hissel with Sanford Center for Sleep Disorders will be our guest. For further details, call (919) 776-0501.
• “An Evening with Ernest Green: Civil Rights Pioneer and Member of the Little Rock Nine” will be presented by the Ruth Pauley Lecture Series at 7:30 p.m. in Owens Auditorium on the Sandhills Community College campus in Pinehurst. Admission is free and open to the public with no tickets required. For additional information call (910) 245-3132.
• San-Lee Park’s Conservation Cubs will meet from 10-11 a.m. at the park, 572 Pumping Station Road, Sanford. The event is open to children ages 3-Â5 with parent. The cost is $6 per child, or $10 per child for both days for those who also participated on Feb. 6 (includes a healthy snack). To learn more or register, call (919) 776-Â6221. Preregistration is preferred. Ask for Jaime Osborne or Carrie Council. Theme is “songbirds in winter.”
• American Legion Post 382 in Sanford will hold a barbecue fund-raiser to support veteran activities, with meals being served from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Post 382 on Legion Drive, off of Highway 1 near Wicker Street. Tickets are available from members, or at the American Legion (call (919) 776-1010). The meal includes barbecue pork, potatoes, slaw, hushpuppies and a dessert. Patrons can eat in at the post or drive by and pick up their meal. Free delivery will be offered for orders of 10 or more. Tickets are $8 in advance or $9 at the door.
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a ribbon-cutting celebration at 4 p.m. at Belcan Staffing Solutions, 115 S. Horner Blvd., Sanford.
• The Carolina Mountain Dulcimer Players will meet at 7 p.m. at the Carol Woods Retirement Community in Chapel Hill. Beginners, experts and all stringed instruments welcome. For more information and directions, contact Shirley Ray at ShirleyRay@aol.com or (919) 929-5359.
• The Sanford Chamber of Commerce will host an “A.M. Crow” event at 7:30 a.m. at the Chamber, 211 S. Steele St., Sanford. The event will welcome the chamber’s “Sanford strutter,” a decorated fiberglass rooster acquired as part of a Lee County Arts Council fund-raiser. The event will feature a 50/50 raffle, coffee and breakfast. Those in attendance have an opportunity to win a Kindle Fire.
• A newborn care class, designed to educate parents on the physical care of the newborn, development needs of the young infant and adjustment to parenthood, will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Community College, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. To register, go to http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=1863.
• The Central Carolina Amateur Radio Communications Team of Lee County will be hosting an amateur radio class and test for level 1: technician license at the Northview Fire Department at 104 Perkison Road from today through Feb. 24, with the test being held at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013. Class hours are from 6-9 p.m. on Feb. 21-22; 9 a.m.–5 p.m. on Feb. 23; and 8 a.m.–noon on Feb. 24. The course is free; the study book is $30, and the test is $15. Contact Jim at (919) 776-8196 or John at (919) 718-9829 to reserve a seat and to order a book.