HAMPTON, VA. – Jordan Whitfield scored 14 of his 20 points in the final 15:59 and Campbell rallied to defeat Hampton 73-68 Friday night at the HU Convocation Center.

Campbell (14-9, 10-6 Big South) trailed by 12 with 9:34 to play, but reeled off a 19-4 run and held the Pirates (9-13, 8-9) to 3-of-13 shooting the rest of the way.

Cedric Henderson Jr. added 16 points, Joshua Lusane 12 (on 4-of-4 threes) and Messiah Thompson 10 for the Camels, who extended their win streak to six games – the program’s longest since 2010.

Davion Warren, who entered the two-game series as the country’s sixth-leading scorer at 21.9 points per game, led Hampton with 20 points, but made just 2-of-9 from the floor in the final period. Seven-footer Dajour Dickens added 14 points, eight rebounds and five blocks, and Russell Dean 12 points and six assists for Hampton, which shot 65 percent from the floor in the opening half, but just 36 percent in the final stanza.

“It didn’t seem that we had the same pop that we did yesterday,” said Campbell head coach Kevin McGeehan of his squad that won Thursday’s opener 76-57. “Credit Hampton; they seemed to want it more earlier. But we just kept imploring them to dig deep and get defensive stops, and that’s what they did.”

Campbell shot 46 percent (23-50) on the night, but made 11-of-20 threes and 16-of-17 (.941) from the line while committing just eight turnovers. Hampton finished the game shooting 50 percent (27-54) overall, but missed all 10 of its second-half threes.

Hampton led by as many as 13 in the opening period before the Camels cut the margin to 41-35 at the break. However, Chris Shelton’s basket with 9:34 left pushed the margin back to a dozen, 59-47.

Ricky Clemons hit a pair of free throws coming out of a media timeout with 6:58 left that trimmed the gap to four, then made a steal and fed Henderson for a slam in transition that capped a 10-0 run and brought CU within 59-57 with 6:35 remaining.

Campbell extended the run to 19-4 and took the lead for good, 64-63, on Whitfield’s elbow jumper with 3:08 to play. Henderson’s pull-up from the left baseline pushed the gap to 66-63 with 2:10 to play.

Shelton responded on the next possession to pull the Pirates within 66-65, but Whitfield knocked down his fifth triple of the night with 1:27 to go and Hampton didn’t connect again from the floor. Henderson and Whitfield both made one-and-one opportunities in the final 26.5 seconds for Campbell, which improved to 4-4 on the road in Big South play. 

The Pirates built a 27-14 lead when Godwin scored with 7:45 remaining to cap a 10-0 run. Whitfield and Lusane, however, connected on four-straight triples and the Camels cut the deficit to just six at the break.

The Camels conclude their regular season schedule by hosting High Point Tuesday and Wednesday.